Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sundays Should Be Longer

Once more Sunday is winding down to slowly disappear into the beginning of a new work week. Why is it that what is probably my favorite day of the week has only 24 hours, just like all of the other days? I'm sure that most people I know would agree that if we could take just 1 or 2 hours away from Monday to Friday and add them to Sunday it would be wonderful. Just think how nice it would be to have a 25 or 34 hour day once a week. Whether you spend Sunday at worship, visiting family or friends, enjoying a well prepared dinner, going for a drive (if you can afford the gas nowadays), or just lazing around the house, it seems to be the one day of the week that has it's own sense of calm around it. Growing up, we attended Sunday Mass in the morning and would often visit my aunts and uncles or grandparents in the afternoon. There would always be a big dinner, roast beef with all the trimmings usually, and then TV in the evening. I grew up with The Ed Sullivan Show and was allowed to stay up an extra hour to watch Bonanza, as long as my homework was done before hand and I was in my pj's. My kids grew up with the big Sunday dinner as well, but rarely the Sunday church service and not usually the drive and family visits. Sunday in the 70's and 80's was the day the beds were changed and laundry sorted and started. It was always bath night and clean pj's. And often mad quests to finish the homework that had been put off since Friday. I still made the big dinner on Sundays for a number of years after the kids grew up and moved out. Someone would usually show up looking for mom's home cooking so I never had to worry about having too many leftovers. Somewhere along the line though that stopped. Sunday's for Wayne and I now mean leaving around 8 am for the two Giant Tiger stores and window cleaning, grocery shopping and a gas/cigarette run to the reserve. Home again around 1 and a lazy afternoon of reading, the Internet or maybe a movie on TV, or best of all the afternoon nap. Many afternoons I have sat down to read for half an hour, only to snooze off and wake up 2 or 3 hours later feeling much refreshed. An easy supper followed by a quiet evening seems to be the norm now, I even try to do family get-togethers on Saturdays, just so I can be lazy on Sundays. We all rush around Monday to Friday trying to cram in work, family and housework. Saturdays are usually spent in a mad flurry of shopping or cleaning, but Sundays just seem to slow down and gently meander along until it's time to go to bed, knowing that in just a few hours it will all start again. Well it's off to bed soon, but Sunday will be back again in just 6 days.

No comments: